The afternoon is coming and your are looking for a quick and easy tip to avoid the midday slumber? Look no further, this short exercise will help you get your power back and even help you digest. So among all the methods we use in REAL LIFE YOGA, my tip for you today is a twist. And it can be done directly at your desk with whatever clothes you have on, and no matter what you ate just before. Here you go directly to the youtube video.
The spinal twist step by step:
1. Sit up straight, back of the chair behind you or to your right side, feet, knees and hips in one line.
2. Inhale: take your right arm up and reach for the back of your chair.
3. Put your left hand on the outer edge of your right thigh to help you twist to the right side.
4. Twist from the bottom of the spine upwards, looking over your right shoulder last.
5. Breathe in your twist 5 more times. Inhale: lengthen through the spine, exhale: twist a little bit deeper to the right.
6. Breathe out and slowly come back to center. Repeat on the other side.
Why it works.
Twists have many benefits. They are wonderful and short ways to refresh your body by stimulating blood circulation and metabolism. Because you create a slight compression of the organs in the abdomen as you twist, fresh blood will flow to your organs and associated glands as you release the twist, helping remove toxins and bringing them plenty of oxygen for their good functioning. Also, twisting once or twice a day helps you keep your spine young, preserving its valuable range of motion with this simple movement, especially in the lower - thoracic and lumbar - parts of the spine that are less mobile.
When to use it.
After lunch or breakfast to improve digestion. When you have been sitting too long and need an easy way to gather your energy and focus for the rest of the day.
For more tips and methods to help you be at your best in business life, visit www.reallifeyoga.ch.